Saturday 25 June 2011

BurGOsomewhere else besides Burgos.


Burgos is boring. We traveled for like an hour on a hot bus and the city is kinda lame. The nightlife doesn’t really exist, but we tried to make it happen anyway. We saw one guy black-out and fall into the arms of his friends, but that could have been him just passing out from the smell of B.O. which was quite prevalent in one club. Defeated, we went home and decided to just chill in the hotel the rest of the weekend in this city that can only be described as the Wyoming of Spain. No offence to Wyomingers…(it’s a word trust me), but when you visit the States from another country your first thought is not “I should really go to Wyoming”.

During the next day we went to the famous Cathedral in Burgos, which was actually really amazing. It’s one of the biggest churches I’ve ever seen and the stuff inside is pretty incredible. Then we got to go to an old castle and go under ground into a well, which was also pretty sweet. Just when Burgos was looking up it went right back to earning the name BOREgos. We went on an archeological dig…it sounds cool, but trust us, it was not! We did not see any fossils and it was nothing like Jurassic Park. The tour guide kept speaking really quickly and our teachers informed us that she wasn’t saying anything worth repeating in English. SO, one of the girls and I decided to fake translate what she was probably saying in our own words. This consisted of us taking one word of a sentence in Spanish that we could understand and turning into a story about how she caught her boyfriend cheating on her and she knows that the skank is one of the women on this very tour. When she held up the head of a skeleton we decided she was saying “this is his head. I ripped off his mandible jaw”. The guide kept looking at me while talking cuz I try to be a responsive audience member, but I was trying so hard to stifle laughter that it made me laugh harder and I started crying. Like full on shaking crying, while tears streamed down my face. I hope she thought I was really emotional about cave men.

When we got back from the trip my host mom had me come to the beach with her daughters and their husbands. THEN they told me I had to come over and watch the futbol game on TV. I did and it was SO much fun. They kept serving me Calimochos (wine mixed with Coke-sounds gross but it’s delicious) and giving me food. They also kept making sure I knew what was happening in the conversation and focused everything on me, you know how I hate to be the center of attention, but I played the role of the martyr in this case, lol. The only awkward part of the night was when they invited their cousin over because they wanted to set me up with her. I never told my host family that I like-a-the boys and that made this slightly uncomfortable, but she is a really nice girl and I think she pretty much knew what was going on. Either that or she just wasn’t interested in me and let’s face it: THAT could not have been the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment