Wednesday 15 June 2011

Bilbao Wow Wow


We file onto the bus for Bilbao and after we are all seated the bus driver says that we have to get off and wait for another bus, because we are a group and we are taking up to much room…There are many over-dramatic screams just to let the everyone know we are Americans… how embarrassing, lol. We get on another bus and after about an hour of really stuffy hot traveling we arrive in Bilbao! Home of one of the nine Planet Hollywood’s left in the world… I’m great with random facts that no one cares about.
   
When we get to the city we go to a super-boring museum about the Basque people. We were all expecting it to be a lot cooler. Then we eat together at a restaurant with a built in 3-course menu. I get paella, which is a traditional Spanish dish. It’s basically rice, seafood and DELICOUS all cooked together in a very interesting way that I don’t know how to explain. I also had fish. They were not afraid to leave the whole fish head on the plate, so I was not afraid to turn it over so at least he wasn’t staring at me.

Completely stuffed we walk along the BEAUTIFUL river to the Guggenheim Museum!! Sooooooo amazing in Bilbao. A lot of people were all “meh, there’s one in NYC and it’s probably better than the one in Spain”. WRONG! I like the one in NYC but I LOVE the one here. (“I finally learned the difference between like and love. Cuz I like my skechers but I LOVE my Prada backpack…But I love my sketchers…That’s cuz you don’t have a Prada backpack”. Sorry, but when I get a chance to quote 10 Things I Hate About You, I take it). The museum was incredible. I liked almost every exhibit. The featured work was a humongous room with about six different mazes made out of iron, I think… you walked through the maze and each one produced a different reaction. One made you feel like you were leaning to the right the entire time, one gave you the impression that when you entered you were leaning right but by the end you were leaning the opposite way and one made you feel as though the wall was getting closer. Really interesting. Another exhibit I loved was a cave made entirely out of cardboard and packing tape. It must have taken a lifetime to build. It was massive and each cave alcove had a different subject, but they were all connected by a similar theme. Some alcoves had books, some had posters of movies, some had (soda) pop cans, but the whole exhibit had aluminum foil explosives inside it connecting the entire cave. I took it to mean that all of these things pack so much information that the knowledge you obtain from them is explosive and that you shouldn’t let the fact that they were pop-culture-induced deter you from learning from them. Someone else thought it meant that pop culture was destroying the world and turning your brain into a cave of dynamite waiting to explode. Interesting that we got totally different things out of it. 

When we leave the museum there is a GIANT dog sculpture. It is at least two stories high and is covered in many different kinds of flowers. As Deuce Bigalow, male gigalo, would say... "Damn that's a huge bitch!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment