Sunday 29 May 2011

You never forget how to ride a bike... which is not true for learning a language


The second day of class was kind of long, because we were all really anxious to get out and enjoy the city. We still had fun as we tried to explain to our teachers (in Spanish) how ridiculously expensive books and tuition are in America. The Spanish students at the University in our town pay less for their semester than we do for one class in America…………QUE??? Kind of wild, considering we have one of their teachers and its basically formatted the same as college in the states. Our Spanish professor couldn’t believe how expensive our schoolbooks are. “Hoder”, is the phrase she used lol, it basically means “f**k”. Then we explained what parties are like in the states and then when she asked me “if I like girls who wear skanky clothing”, I said…”No me gusta muchachas” WHOOPS! There it is, out in the open in the first week of class. Whatever, I really didn’t want it to come up in five weeks and have an awkward “why did you lie about that” convo.

After a very funny class we all decide to meet by the ocean and rent bikes! We take the bikes all the way around the city of Santander. It’s stunningly beautiful. The water is so blue, the sand is a very light brown and we are surrounded by mountains. A girl in our group “broke the chain of her bike”, AKA she wanted a “guapo chico”, to help her fix it. A Spanish guy jumped up immediately from the sand and fixed the bike for her. Best pick up maneuver ever? We traveled on up to a place where we could really see the lighthouse and the famous palace in Santander. 

We were climbing uphill (Sherie Renee Scott style) and finally made it, to discover that you can’t actually go in the palace cuz we are not “royal”. I started screaming that I was Kate Middleton’s third cousin once removed, therefore I am now royal. Don’t worry, I did it in a British accent so now they will totally think that Brits are the loud annoying ones, not us. You’re welcome.

We zoomed back to the bike stop and walked over to meet all the other students and teachers at a restaurant. Our group leader decided to just order a bunch of different things for us to try, which was an awesome idea! There were tamales, Spanish sausages, salmon, tomatoes, calamari and an assortment of desserts. We got the works and it was all really good. LOVE SPANISH FOOD! Totally stuffed, we all said goodbye and walked home. I got lost, cuz I’m a turd fergusson. I kind of panicked and thought I was going to die, then I literally stumbled upon my house. Later I found out that this is one of the safest towns in the world…there’s like no crime. Ever. Kinda like Detroit???

1 comment:

  1. Joder! You're so witty, I love it. Let's get married, and enjoy lots of Niqui-niqui! Remember what Esther taught us: "Aqui te pillo, aqui te mato". Of course, I still don't know the short cuts for accent marks on my laptop, joder!

    ReplyDelete